Queensland Development Applications

Lodging a QLD Development Application

In Queensland a development application is not necessarily required for domestic development and a building application can be made directly to a Private Certifier.

However a development application may be required for domestic development by the local Council where an Overlay applies.

These include for example Overlays protecting the heritage or character of an area, biodiversity and scenic values.

How PPLAN can help your QLD DA Do you need a Development Application?

Queensland Development Application Types

There are generally two types of development applications in Queensland:

Code Assessment
This involves assessing an application against prescribed standards either in the Council Planning Scheme and/or State regulations

Impact Assessment
This involves a broad assessment of the impacts under the Council Planning Scheme and/ State regulations and includes public notification and possible third party submissions and appeals


The application may involve a material change to the use of land, the erection of buildings, site works (operational work) and subdivision (reconfiguring a lot)


Queensland Development Applications

PPLAN is able to help you submit Development Applications for the following types of developments::

  • Houses in character suburbs, environmentally sensitive areas and on small lots
  • Development impacting on the appearance of heritage buildings
  • Duplexes, townhouses, and apartments
  • Shops, restaurants and other retail premises
  • Professional offices, medical centres, gyms and other related services
  • Factories, warehouses, service premises and other industrial buildings

The Queensland Development Application Process

Where a development consent is required in Queensland, we will:

  1. Complete all necessary development application forms
  2. Liase with the private certifier if required
  3. Prepare a submission supporting the application, responding to the Planning Scheme, Temporary Local Planning Instrument, State Planning Policy or Regional Plan
  4. Prepare submissions to support a performance based solution under the Planning Scheme
  5. Check compliance with any covenant requirements
  6. Lodge the development application documents
  7. Liaise and negotiate outcomes with Council during the application assessment process

Other QLD Development Advice

Depending on the nature of the application, it may require referral to other government agencies and the preparation of specialist reports, for example bushfire assessment; environmental impacts and traffic studies.

Once an application has been assessed and approved, we will review the conditions and advise whether any further representations need to be made to Council.

The proposal can then be lodged with either:

  • A Private Certifier for a Development Permit for Building Work; or
  • A Land Surveyor to prepare a subdivision plan

Other QLD Development Application Services

We also provide services for

  • Impact Assessable Applications
  • Realignment of a Boundary
  • Response to Show Cause Notices
  • Response to Enforcement Notices

It is important your application is properly made with all the relevant information included.

A poorly made application can be rejected after a couple of weeks, which means you lose valuable time and money.

PPLAN will look after your DA all the way.

Brisbane | Gold Coast | Moreton Bay | Sunshine Coast | Somerset | Ipswich | Logan | Redland | Toowoomba | Noosa | Lockyer Valley | Scenic Rim | Southern Downs | Gympie