New South Wales
Development Applications
Sydney, Greater Sydney, Central Coast, Hunter regions, Newcastle, NSW North Coast, Tweed, Lismore

In New South Wales, most development will require a development application to be lodged with the Council.

The application will be assessed under the Council’s Local Environmental Plan (LEP) and Development Control Plans (DCPs), as well as State Environmental Planning Policies (SEPPs).  The DCP will prescribe which applications require public notification.
The application may involve the use of land, the erection of buildings, site works and subdivision.

How PPLAN can help your NSW DA Do you need Development Consent?

New South Wales' Development Types

Typically an application is required for the following types of development:

Houses not meeting the requirements under State Environmental Planning Policy  (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008
› Duplexes, townhouses, and apartments

› Development impacting on the appearance of heritage buildings
› Shops, restaurants and other retail premises
› Professional offices, medical centres, gyms and other related services

› Factories, warehouses, service premises and other industrial buildings

How PPLAN can help with your NSW Development Application

Where a development consent is required in New South Wales, we will:

  1. Complete all necessary development application forms
  2. Liase with the private certifier if required
  3. Prepare a submission supporting the application, responding to the  Local Environmental Plans (LEP), Development Control Plans (DCP) and  State Environmental Planning Policy (SEPP)
  4. Prepare submissions to support a Variation to a  Development Standard under an LEP
  5. Complete associated application forms for plumbing, driveway,  stormwater and erosion and sediment control
  6. Complete a BASIX assessment to ensure houses meet energy and  water sustainability requirements
  7. Check compliance with covenant requirements where these have  been imposed by the Council
  8. Undertake a self-assessable bushfire assessment
  9. Lodge the development application document
  10. Liaise and negotiate outcomes with Council during the application  assessment process

Depending on the nature of the application, it may require referral to other government agencies and the preparation of specialist reports, for example bushfire assessment; environmental impacts and traffic studies.

Once an application has been assessed and approved, we will review the conditions and advise whether any further representations need to be made to Council. The proposal can then be lodged with either:

  • A Private Certifier for a Construction Certificate; or
  • A Land Surveyor to prepare a subdivision plan

It is important your application is properly made with all the relevant information included.

A poorly made application can be rejected after a couple of weeks, which means you lose valuable time and money.

PPLAN will look after your DA all the way.

Contact PPLAN